Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Ajuda (ou de São Paulo)
A former convent church of the Friar Hermits of St. Paul, built from 1606.It´s architecture and interior are a museum of sacred art, with images from the 16th,17th, and 18th centuries , gathered from former temples and convents.
Former conventual church of the hermit friars of São Paulo, erected from 1606 within the values of the austere “ground style”. With the extinction of religious orders in 1834, the convent and fence were sold at auction and the church was handed over to the brotherhood of Our Lady of Help and, later, to the parish of Santa Maria. Today survives only the church, interesting architectural manifestation of the first half of the seventeenth century. It has an unornamented façade, which integrates a narthex on the ground floor and a second floor marked by three windows and a niche with the clay image of the patron saint. The interior features a Latin cross plan, composed of the volumes of the chancel, transept and single nave. It contains an interesting collection of painting, carving and religious imaginary from the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, partly from other temples of the city and extinct convents. Noteworthy is the altarpiece of Nossa Senhora do Carmo, made in 1730 by the carvers Gaspar Martins.