Capela de Nossa Senhora da Consolação
Its origin dates back to 1648 when the Fraternity of Nossa Senhora da Consolação dos Presos was founded. In front of it where the current Post Office is located used to be the old prison.
Its origin dates back to 1648, when the Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Consolation of prisoners was created. It was located outside the Gate of Alfeição and the old jail, both demolished in 1918. Several annexes of the chapel, including the sacristy, the house of the hermit and one of the Steps of the Lord that was attached to it, were also destroyed around this year, and works were still made on the façade, replacing the primitive portal with what it presents today. The brotherhood of Our Lady of The Consolation of prisoners moved towards a specific objective: to give moral and spiritual support to the prisoners of the old tavira jail. According to tradition, this is where the convicts spent the last hours. The chapel denotes great sobriety. It consists of a single small rectangular body with wooden cover. Inside stands out the 16th century altarpiece, containing some later elements, namely the central niche, the image of Our Lady of Consolation and the altar table, belonging to the second half of the eighteenth century. The altarpiece also presents the primitive iconographic program composed of a set of six paintings alluding to the life of the Virgin representing the Adoration of the Shepherds, Adoration of the Magi, Coronation of the Virgin, and, in the predelas, the Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple, the Last Supper and the Annunciation. His authorship is attributed to the Tavirense painter João Rodrigues Andino (c. 1635-1694), one of the good regional artists, known for the vast and important work developed in the city of Faro. The interior decoration also includes a 17th-century carpet tile skirting board and an 17th-century canvas depicting Christ with the Cross (formerly belonging to the Attached Step).